Univ.Prof.Dr. Berthold Streubel
Genetic counselling is a service that provides support, information and advice about genetic conditions.
It may involve:
- learning about a health condition that runs in your family, how it's inherited, and which family members may be affected
- an assessment of the risk of you and your partner passing an inherited condition on to your child
- a look at the medical history of your family or your partner's family and drawing up a family tree
- support and advice if you have a child affected by an inherited condition and you want to have another child
- a discussion about genetic tests, which can be arranged if appropriate, including the risks, benefits and limitations of genetic testing
- You'll be given clear, accurate information so you can decide what's best for you.